4.10.08

thrifting

I forgot that on Saturday Dana and I went thrifting and had some pretty damn good luck. Store number one didn't have much, but there were a couple of books, and a copy of The Secret Garden on VHS. I have to say, I'm starting to get a little nostalgic for tapes, because you can get used movies for so cheap at thrift stores, and they have been in pretty fair condition so far. We really bonded over the movie last night. I really love Mary Lennox's transformation from an angry, fearful girl into a warm and smiling young woman. I laugh at how she ruffles Mrs. Medlock's feathers, and storms into Colin's room calling him selfish! She herself enters the story behaving very selfishly, but finally she learns that she doesn't have to be afraid of being abandoned anymore, and learns to freely love herself and others. I was inspired by the incredibly good acting of the children in this movie and the directing is fantastic, having been made by one of Francis Ford Coppola's companies.

We also located a copy of Mr. Edward Greenblatt's "Suddenly Single: A Survival Kit for the Single Man" which includes 30 simple recipes (enough for one month!) and 50 kids activities (for your kids when they are in your custody, or perhaps for the children of people you date?). That will probably be my next book review.

The treat of the next store was a cache of old lesbian music tapes! Here's the list

Melissa Etheridge
Melissa Etheridge
Yes I Am
Brave and Crazy
your little secret

k.d. lang
Angel With a Lariat
all you can eat

Sheryl Crow's title album (not lesbian, just 90's!)

and, tadaha pure moods II

Our final stop lead to a deposit of the contents of my trunk (which have been awaiting the goodwill donation center for many moons) and the purchase of a bookshelf, a tea pot and tea kettle, and some fancy plates (which I looked up online and they are in fact very good fakes). *Squee!*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Secret Garden is one of my favourite books ever. My lovely aunt (who recently died, sadly) bought me a lovely hardback edition when I was around 9 years old containing The Secret Garden, A Little Princess and Little Lord Fauntleroy. I read it until the spine crumbled. Happy memories.